Wednesday 22 June 2011

A Morning's Story Thought

It all started out innocently enough.  Just another usual morning, like every other morning.  Only this morning my sister was with me.

I usually go for coffee a couple mornings a week at our city's health-food store.  Up until 8 am they have all drinks half-off, and I like to take advantage of that.  I only wish I hadn't gone this morning.

It happened on the way there.  On the way there!  I can't bear to think of it, but I muse, for I know getting it all out will help.  Somehow.

We were on our way to the store.  It was around 7.30 when we left.  I was driving and my sister was in the passengers seat.

I was at the intersection of Juniper and 5th.  This was always the one hard intersection to cross, as it had three streets connected to it - at least, in the way I was going.

I myself was on a two way street.  In order to reach my next point, I had to cross another two-way street, immediately turn left to cross a one-way street and then continue on my way.

I don't know why it happened...how it happened.  I looked everywhere.  It was clear at all intersections.  But as I was crossing the first street, this truck to my right came speeding up out of nowhere!  And when I looked ahead to the one-way street, a car was about to pass right in front of me!

Time seemed to slow  down.  I didn't know what to do.  Should I speed up to avoid the speeding truck to save my sisters life and risk killing the people in the car in front of me?  Or should I slam the breaks to save those in front of me and kill my sister.  I didn't know what to do.  I didn't know what to do!!!


But my sister did.  "Hit the breaks!" she screamed.  And so I did.  I didn't even pause to think about it.  The truck hit us.  Hard.

The next thing I know, I'm waking up.  Not even a bruise on me.  But my sister - oh God! my sister - I shudder every time I remember what I saw.  You couldn't even recognize her.  How I regret listening to her.

She meant well; she meant to save the lives of the vehicle in front of us.  She was always watching out for others rather than herself.  But now she's dead, and it's all my fault.

...


It had been months since the accident.  The funeral had come and gone.  Now she was just a mere memory away from existence.

I was just walking out of a grocery store, when a strange lady stopped me.

"Excuse me?" she said, hesitantly.
"Yes?" I replied.
"Are...are you the young man who's sister died in a car crash a few months back?  The crash at the Juniper and 5th intersection?"
"I am."
"Oh.  I...I wanted to tell you, well, thank you.  I don't know what made you decide to stop instead of running into the car ahead of you...but that decision...it...it save the lives of my children and I.  We were in the vehicle in front of you."

I said nothing.  I just stood there, amazed at the possibilities of actually meeting a person who was almost involved in the accident.  It was so unlikely of happening, yet it was.

"Well, anyways...  I'm sorry about your loss.  I truly am.  I just wanted to thank you for giving my children a second chance to live."  And with that, she left.


My sister is still dead.  Nothing can change that.  But knowing that she gave up her one life for the lives of multiple people somehow lessens the pain.  And with time, I know that the healing process will help soothe the wounds of hurt as well.


(21.6.2011)

2 comments:

  1. Slightly gut wrenching for me... but that's understandable, right?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated. But...keep it clean. :)