Thursday 19 May 2011

Life Allegory I

The days seemed to go by so fast when I was with you.  They were filled with laughter, sunshine, long walks, words, affections.  We grew so close in such a short amount of time; you were the kind of friend I had never had before.

Each moment spent with you I held dear.  Every word exchanged, every smile shared, every touch - all treasured, all remembered.  None of it, however, a sign of what was to come.

It happened subtly at first.  Not to where I could even notice.  Just a quick glance or two in their direction.  But then those glances led to other things.

Soon they were included when we spent time together.  It was no longer you and I.  It was you, them, and myself.

Shortly after that, they were let in on the jokes, on the smiles, on the laughs.  I didn't mind that so much.  Sometimes they were a part of those things; those memories and experiences.  It didn't stop there, though.

You would always hold my hand.  You would always lean on me.  But soon you occasionally leaned on them.  And the first time you held their hand...I remember that time.  I still remember the shock, the pain.

Your attention and devotion was now divided between myself and them.  As time moved on, so did you.

More and more you spent your time focused on them.  You told them everything like you used to tell me.  You laughed about the same things, shared those secret smiles, gave your hand for them to hold.

Your world centered around them; and their world centered around you...just like my world was.  But I was no longer in the foreground of the picture.  I was just another shadow; another background filler.

And when I finally faded away into the distance, you didn't even notice...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated. But...keep it clean. :)