Saturday 26 January 2013

Noise

       Americans are known for their inability to stand silence.  Most have some kind of background noise going on in their everyday lives, such as music, the television, or even constant chatter.  They do this because they're scared of what the silence may bring.  It depends on the individual what exactly it is they don't want to face.  For silence, you see, means no distractions.  It means that we are forced to listen to our own thoughts, and take whatever may come with their onslaught.

       More and more, I have found myself trying to stay distracted.  Constant music playing, watching show after show, having my thoughts occupied by the shallowness of the repetition of a song, or something else that will keep me from thinking too much.  Although, thinking too much is not what I fear.  Thinking itself is what I wish to prevent.

       How is it that she's been gone for over six months, and it's still as painful as it was the first day she left this world?  Why does every single thought I have eventually bring me back to the memory of hearing about her death?  And how can that one memory make me hurt so much?

       I don't go about my days with every little thing triggering a memory of her.  Rather, I'll be thinking about something completely unrelated, and through a series of one thought leading to another, it all ends up back to that day.  It makes me despise being able to remember anything at all.  I'd forget so much, if I could.

       No one ever talks about how painful death is.  They say that we find peace with Jesus, because we know that our loved ones are with Him.  This is true.  I know without a doubt that she is with Him.  But they leave out how painful it is to try and withstand the absence of their presence here on earth.

       My heart feels as though its been torn to shreds, and will never heal.  Sometimes I'll be doing fine, and then in a moment when my mind is not occupied, it comes rushing back at me.  She's gone.  Forever.

       So why do I do this to myself?  Why do I allow myself to keep such a painful memory on the surface of my mind, instead of burying it deep enough to where I won't recall it so often?  I don't know.  Maybe because I feel that the pain is necessary.  As if I need to remind myself that death is real.  And there's no way to escape it.  And that the older I grow, the more I'll see it in my own life.

       Maybe the only way to get used to death, is by surrounding myself with it.  Placing myself in a position where I'm forced to stare it in the eye, and see others go through it constantly...perhaps this will help me to understand better.  How, I don't know, but it seems as if it's the only thing that will help.

       I'm not terrified of growing old.  I welcome it.  It's the fact that I'll see those I love around me, leave me, just as she did.  And having to go through such an ordeal more than just once...I'm not sure if I can handle it. I'm barely holding myself together these days.  The only thing preventing me from going mad with grief, is all the distractions I force upon myself.  Perhaps it is not healthy to keep myself from thinking too deeply about anything, but it is what I need to survive right now.




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous27/1/13 01:44

    You start by talking about silence and thoughts, but then you move into the subject of death and loss, of grief, and dealing with it. Just this past week I drove past a fatal motorcycle accident on my way to work, and that same day I found out someone I'm contracted under lost her husband suddenly a couple weeks earlier, and she is left with a 2.5 year old - she's having a hard time dealing with it too. But my colleague whom I was in conversation with regarding these things that day, he brought up Ecclesiastes 7:2-4, and the gist of those verses are that it is good to see and be made aware of death. But why? Elsewhere in the Bible we are reminded that our lifetime is as but a vapor, gone in an instant. The key is to always be mindful of eternity; death can come suddenly without warning (as so sadly happens in many lives today - people who have not yet fulfilled God's destiny planned for them and cut short by the consequence of sin in this world) so we should always be thinking about living with that in mind, not just for our own lives but to bring others to a knowledge of God (rather a relationship with Him) because whenever their time comes they will still have eternity, but it will be spent in one of two places - one that warrants rejoicing, and the other that is cause for great mourning. So to be mindful of death, or more accurately the frail condition of human existence, this is to keep us focused on things of eternal importance, as God would have us do.

    From what you said, your friend is in Heaven, and that is great reason for rejoicing. So where you say that she is gone forever, you must realize that she is only gone until you join her. Time in passing may seem slow, but in Heaven where God is, time is no object. She will not have to wait for you - after your life is completed here on earth she will simply welcome you alongside Jesus as if no time had passed at all for her. But that is beside the deeper issue of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous27/1/13 01:46

    [continued, part 2]

    What is the painful memory that you "keep on the surface of your mind"? That death is real and inescapable? I would suggest that you search for scriptures that pertain to death for the believer. Death by definition is a separation, most often the spirit from the physical body. For those who have accepted Christ and his work of reconciliation with God the Father, they are joined with the Godhead in eternal relationship as God intended at the start of creation; for those who have rejected Christ, death is also separation from the presence of God. In Deuteronomy 30 (verse 19 I think) everyone is faced with a choice between life and death - it's not that physical death, but spiritual death that we choose (this is separation from God). Physical death is merely the start of eternity for the spirit of a person - based on our choice it is eternal death (separation from God), or eternal life. If you look into the New Testament on this, we see that death is merely the shedding of the body, as going through a gateway to the greater purpose of our existence as a spirit - fellowship with God. It is a joyous occasion for all believers, both the departed and those still on earth afterward. It is something to truly look foward to (though not to hurry toward, as God has a purpose for each one of us to fulfill here on earth first before we "fall asleep", as it should be, to join the saints that have gone on home before us). Paul said he would rather die to be with Christ, but he had yet more to do for God on the earth. Isaiah 25:8 says "He will swallow up death forever, and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces; the rebuke of His people He will take away from all the earth; for the Lord has spoken." This was fulfilled when Christ was crucified (see I Corinthians 15:54-57 and Revelation 1:18), and the sting of death, the power of sin, was removed forever from those who accept the work of Christ in their life. We have passed from death into life (John 5:24) and do not have to see death (John 8:52). When we have accepted Christ, when we are truly convinced and sure of our choice of life over death (refering to Deuteronomy 30), the confidence and assurance we have of our eternal destiny causes us to have no fear whatsoever of death. In fact, the statement death has no power over us means that death does not have even the slightest influence on us (including our thought life). In I Timothy 1:10 Paul is reminding us that Christ "abolished death and brought life" - it's worth noting that the greek word that's translated as abolish (katargeo) is defined as "to cause a thing or person to have no further efficiency; to deprive of force, influence, or power" - thus death (all the miseries arising from sin; separation of spirit and body) has no efficiency, force, influence or power to those who have accepted the Gospel. That has quite a lot of implication and can revolutionize our outlook on life and the way we approach daily living - what a victorious outlook we are blessed to have when we understand this! And there's a lot more hidden in the scriptures (even just Romans 5 and 6, looking at every place the word "death" and "life" appear can reveal a lot).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous27/1/13 01:47

    [continued, part 3]

    So, if you managed to read this far without deciding you hate my guts because of my insensitivity, I must also say I understand that people do need to grieve. The Bible gives us plenty of reason to change our view, but grieving is a natural process for humans and I don't mean to belittle it at all. So please don't misunderstand my point. Please go through the process as you need to. But if you need help moving past it, there are plenty of resources for that too, and I'd advise looking into it (time spent grieving beyond what is necessary, especially when it becomes destructive, takes us from effectively carrying out God's call and living in His will for our lives, and tarrying in such a state then becomes sinful).

    Last, however, there is a chance there is something deeper still that is going on, and your struggles with grief are magnified, or perhaps a manifestation of something bigger. Your conclusion mentions keeping yourself from thinking much - if controlling your thoughts is difficult there is plenty of help the scriptures offers for that as well. But above all, take the advice of Philippians 4:8 - "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." Think on the word of God, and the promises He has given you for a great future, and meditate on these. Jeremiah 29:11 is where most people start. There's plenty more to look up and meditate on, but you have to want it enough to put some effort into it, so I'll leave that to you...

    With kindest regards and utmost sincerity, God bless.

    - A friend in Christ, praying for your victory in this matter

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated. But...keep it clean. :)